Can a single person adopt a child?

Can a single person adopt a child?

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
    I am a single mother who adopted through foster care, so it is possible.  I know there are also agencies who will work with single parents wanting to adopt through domestic and international adoption as well.  

The best option to start is to google search adoption agencies or foster/adoption agencies in your area, and ask them what their qualifications are for adopting.  Let them know your situation and what you're looking for in adopting.  This will also help you find out what options are best for your situation.

I chose to adopt through foster care over domestic or international for a few reasons.  Reason 1 being the cost.  The cost to adopt from foster care is little to nothing.  My son's adoption cost me nothing, plus I get an adoption subsidy until he is 18 and Medicaid.  He will also qualify for free college tuition once he is of that age just because he was adopted from foster care.  Reason two was because there are so many children in care who need homes, that I didn't feel the need to try to go into debt to adopt a baby from a birth mother.

There are agencies though that will require a two parent home, but I found in my search that there were few of those.  Normally, being single, especially a single female was not a barrier.

I started my foster to adopt process single at age 34.  I adopted my first placement nearly 4 years later at age 37, and still single.  I'm still single and raising him on my own, and it's never been an issue with the state or my agency.

Some websites that share more information on adopting that you may want to check out are:
    www.adoptionexperts.com
    www.adoptionagency.org
  • Answer ✓
    Yes, single people can adopt. Most agencies allow for this, I believe a few do not. The single parent will have to meet all the requirements that a couple would as far as finances and home environment. The only barrier you may face is that a birth mom may be looking to place a baby for adoption because she herself is single and won't have the help of a partner to raise the baby. Many birthmoms have said lack of support financially or otherwise from being single led them to their decision of adoption. For that reason you may not be chosen by those birth moms. Other birthmoms may be fine with a single parent for their child, as long as they know you have the support you need (financial, babysitters, community, other family, etc).