What is the best way to prepare for my home study?

If I want to do a domestic infant adoption, how should I prepare for my home study?

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    Preparing for a home study can be quite stressful! It definitely feels like all eyes are on you. I equate it to feeling a bit like you are in a zoo and everyone is watching you. It makes sense to want to feel prepared. Know that the home study is not as stressful as it sounds, though there is really no talking anyone out of getting stressed about it! There are a few things you can do to feel a bit more prepared. 

1. Make sure you have your paperwork done.
    Your agency will likely require mounds of paperwork from you. This can include legal paperwork, but may also include a biography of you and those in your household as well as possible educational materials you will need to have completed. There is little more annoying than having to finish up or dig through paperwork to get what your social worker needs to complete your study. On that note, have all important paperwork such as tax records and identification readily available in case its needed. 

2. Safety First
    The answer on the safety check will vary based on who you ask. Some will say that their social worker didn't really check for child-proofing, others will say their worker was strict. Just make sure you get it taken care of. Better safe than sorry! For this, check with your local child welfare agency or check with your agency to see if they can provide you with their checklist for safety requirements. Simply go through the list and make sure your safe guards are in place. 

3. Be Prepared to Be Honest
    Your agency is trying to get your home study approved. They are not their to judge but to educate and make sure you are prepared for your adoption. Being forthcoming will be to your benefit. Be honest about your fears and any questions you may have. A homestudy is not a test, but a time for you to feel better prepared for your adoption as well. Be open and answer the questions with confidence. 

Take a deep breath. It will be over before you know it and people usually say, "That was not as bad as I thought it would be!" 

For more information on preparing for your home study, take a look at this great article on preparing for your home study! 

Answers

• First and foremost, take a deep breath, the home study process can seem very overwhelming at first. There will be days when you want to get it all done in a day and there will be days you just don't want to work on another piece of paper!

First, make sure all your agencies paperwork is completed. Each agency will have their own set of requirements for this, but is all necessary. Once they have "approved" all of your paperwork and want to proceed with the home visit, again, make sure you take a deep breath. Make sure you know who you references are going to be and make sure they are available for either a phone call with your social worker or able to write a letter on your behalf.

Remember they are not there to criticize your home, but they are there to make sure you home is a safe place to bring home a baby. I know for me, I got frustrated at the fact that I had to have so many safety features to bring home a baby. They are not going to be able to read my fire plan listed on the refrigerator.  But looking back I am thrilled that we had to be that prepared-- it took away the guessing of how and when I should prepare for these things because they were already done. We already had our medicine up high and locked, or our drawers/cabinets safety locked. We already had baby gates up. As frustrating as it, it is worth it in the end!

Lastly, simply remember to be you. Your agency worker is there to assist you in the process, not judge you. So, just be you!

Need some extra information, check out the links here or here.