What are the most popular adoption quotes?

edited March 10 in New to Adopting
What are the most popular adoption quotes?

Best Answers

• edited March 12 Answer ✓
    Here are a few I see all the time, along with my thoughts about them:

"He is mine in a way he will never be hers, and he is hers in a way he will never be mine, and so together, we are motherhood." - Desha Wood

-I love that this quote recognizes that every adopted child (whether they are in an open or closed adoption) has two mothers. It's an unalterable truth. I often hear parents new to adoption say that they want a closed adoption because they don't want to have to "share" their child. But something fundamental to understand from the very beginning is that if you adopt, there's really no choice in the matter: You will NEVER be that child's only parents. Even if your child never know their birth parents, the people who gave them life will be a part of them. (And in most cases, it's best to let them know their birth parents. But that's maybe a discussion for another post.) But anyway, this is a truth that you have to prepare yourself for as an adoptive parent. You will never be that child's only parent. It can be hard to accept, but it also is what it is. Furthermore, it can be a beautiful thing. Think about it: there's someone else in the world who cares about your child as much as you do. What a gift for your child! What a gift for you!

Here's a great story about open adoption.

And I love this video about it too:

"A child born to another woman calls me mommy. The magnitude of that tragedy and the depth of that privilege are not lost on me." - Jody Landers

A lot of quotes about adoption focus on the positive aspects: a child finding a family, a family finding a child. But this touches on an important aspect of adoption that anyone touched by adoption needs to recognize: All adoption starts with loss. It always starts with a child's LOSS of family and a family's LOSS of a child. And adoptive parents may also be coming into the process after suffering the LOSS of their original plans to build a family, the LOSS of the opportunity to have biological children.
  • Answer ✓
    I don't know of a favorite quote but our son's biological mom gave us this poem and it is one of the most beautfiul things I have ever read!!

LEGACY OF AN ADOPTED CHILD

Once there were two women who never knew each other
    One you do not remember, the other you call Mother

Two different lives shaped to make you one
    One became your guiding star, the other became your sun

The first one gave you life, and the second taught you to live it
    The first gave you a need for love, the second was there to give it

One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name
    One gave you a talent, the other gave you aim

One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears
    One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried you tears

One made an adoption plan, that was all that she could do
    The other prayed for a child, and God led her straight to you.

Now, which of these two women, Are you the product of?
    Both, my darling, Both, Just two different types of love.

– Unknown

• Answer ✓
    There are so many great quotes about adoption. The one listed above by Jody Landers is certainly one of my favorites, and likely the most popular. Quotes that truly speak to the nature of adoption are often the most heart wrenching and meaningful. I wrote an article directly due to how this quote spoke to me as an adoptive mother. You can read it here.

One quote that I have seen a lot is this one from an anonymous author.

"Giving birth does not make her a mother. Placing a child for adoption does not make her less of one."

This one speaks volumes to the love that goes into both placement and adoption. While the legality of parenthood and custody changes, a birth mother will forever be a mother. She carried her child for 9 months and likely made the most difficult decision of her life by placing her child for adoption. The title of "mother" remains with her for life. 

A second equally popular quote speaks to motherhood yet again. This quote from Desha Wood states, "He is mine in a way that he will never be hers, yet he is hers in a way that he will never be mine, and so together, we are motherhood."

My two youngest children were adopted. However, just because I am their mom does not mean that their birth mother is no longer their mom. They will have a relationship with me that they will never have with her. They will have a relationship with her that they will never have with me. We with both be "mom" to them, but that word will hold two different meanings to them. It takes nothing away from me for her to still be their mom. Motherhood is different for different women.