How hard is it to adopt?

How hard is it to adopt?

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

Adoption is not necessarily hard, but it certainly is time consuming and emotional.  We waited almost six years to be matched with our son’s birth mom. That waiting time was “hard.” The paperwork that lead up to the approval date wasn’t necessarily hard but was time consuming. There are applications, back ground checks, home studies, letters of recommendations, health reports, etc. that all need to be completed in order to adopt. For general information regarding adoption, check out: adoptionexperts.com.

So, be prepared for the paperwork and be prepared for the wait if you are pursuing an adoption in which the birth mom chooses you.

I will also say, that adoption is expensive, which could mean that part is hard. Some save for years in order to afford an adoption. Some fundraise in order to pursue an adoption. Make sure to do some research in your local state/city to become informed on how much an adoption would cost. You can find information about affording an adoption here: adoption.com/affording.

Best of luck to you!

Answers

• Adoption is hard and time consuming. The longest part can be the year of paperwork, background checks,etc you do before you are waiting in an agency's pool of waiting families. It takes organization to get everything done on your checklist. Once you are in an agency's pool, it can be hard for some people to be matched and it can be easy for others. It really just depends and no two adoptions are the same. Some people wait 3 years; some wait 3 days. In general, most people wait somewhere around a year. There also can be failed adoptions where the birth mom changes her mind, or there could be factors like moving which lead families to choose another agency. As far as requirements go, adoptive families will have to have a certain level of income (different at each agency) and other criteria met, like how long they've been married and whether they have a criminal record.
  • The simple answer to this is yes. Adoption is hard. I really don't know anyone who has gone through adoption he would say that it's not hard. But it is not really necessarily hard because it is adoption. Adoption in and of itself is not hard. It is the process that can be difficult. It is the roadblocks that you might encounter that can be quite trying. However, it is important to try to stay positive as the end is so worth it. 

One of the hardest parts of adoption is the wait to adopt. In any kind of adoption there is some sort of wait. Whether it be waiting for a home study to be completed, the wait to be matched with a child, or an international adoption the wait to get the go-ahead to bring your child home. The waiting is just incredibly hard all around. In some areas, it's harder than others.

The financial toll that adoption can take on you is incredibly hard. Adoption can be expensive. Adoption is expensive. However, there are many ways to afford adoption. My husband and I were able to adopt on a very low income because we were informed about how to fund our adoption. The adoption tax credit also helped in that situation.

Adoption that is also hard to do to the loss that people experience all around. Regardless of how happy and adoption is, your child will experience loss of their birth family. This is why open adoption is so important if it's an option for you. It can help with that loss a little bit. However, the loss for a birth parent is also very hard. It's often hard to cope with losing a child even if it is the best thing in this situation to place the child. Seeing my child's birth mother go through that was incredibly hard for both me and of course for her. The emotions that come with adoption can be quite the roller coaster.

As I sit here, seeing my children play, I realize how lucky I am. For both of my children who were adopted, I can definitely say that their adoptions were hard. However I don't remember the hard part daily. I am just so grateful that they are home with us. So grateful for their birth family. So grateful that we still get to have them in our lives. All the hard parts were temporary. The worth it part is here now and that makes it incredibly easy in retrospect.