How Can I Prepare for My Adoption Home Study?

I've never gone through the home study process before, and I want to make sure that I do the best I can.

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    The home study process can be quite stressful. It is one of the most talked about parts of the adoption process. There are even whole Meme Slideshows dedicated to its stresses! The good news is that there are many ways you can prepare for your adoption home study to make it less stressful.

1. Have All Documentation
    Before any home visit, your adoption agency or social worker will give you a packet of information outlining any documentation they need from you. This may also include a list of documents that will need to be filled out or created. You may also find, as many do, that you do not have some of the documents on hand that they requested. Go over the packet as soon as you get it. Gather any documents and copy them. If you need any documents, send out for them immediately! There is little worse than getting just a few days before your home visit and realizing you are not prepared! 

2. Ask for Help
    Asking for help with your home study can look like a few different things. First, if you have any questions, ask your agency or social worker. This isn't a quiz. They are not trying to fail you. If you are unsure if you need to clarify something or unsure what will be needed for the safety audit, ASK. They will more often than not be more than happy to provide you with exact clarification of what you need. Second, ask friends and family to help you with whatever you need. If you need help cleaning, organizing, baby proofing, looking for documents etc. This is not the time to be shy or independent. Reach out!

3. Be Honest
    If you are worried that something will come up in the home study that may prevent you from passing, bring it up BEFORE your home visit. You will save yourself lots of money and also save everyone time. If you have a criminal history, don't try to hide it. If you have mental or physical health issues, bring it up immediately so that there are no surprises. Again, the social worker is not trying to fail families, only ensure that they are equipped to adopt.