What should I do if I no longer want to be a foster parent while I'm fostering?

What should I do if I no longer want to be a foster parent while I'm fostering?

Best Answer

• Fostering any child can be incredibly hard. Many times, a foster parent may choose to discontinue fostering for reasons having little to do with any child. Some people go into foster care with expectations that are not met or their situation may change. They may have to move or choose to adopt a child. If you find your self no longer wanting to be a foster parent, it is understandable. 

If you decide that you no longer wish to be a foster parent but are currently fostering, much will depend on the status for the child you are fostering. If they are set to be reunified in the nearer future, it may be best to try to hold off on transitioning out of foster care until the reunification occurs. If at all possible, it will likely be the best for the child to not have to transition to another home and go through that if avoidable. 

If you need to quit immediately, speak with the social worker to discuss a plan and date for quitting. It is best to let them know as soon as possible. If there are children in your care, speak with the social worker about when and how to inform them of their transition. The social worker will likely have an idea of the best course of action.