Could I ask you some questions?

edited June 15 in New to Adopting

My name is Angela, and I am currently a senior at Penn State University. I am enrolled in a Writing for Social Sciences course, and I am to conduct a virtual ethnography on a subculture of my choice. 

I am an adopted child myself, therefore I have chosen adopters and adoptees as my subculture. I also have an adopted brother, and a few members of my extended family that are adopted, as well. I am very interested in others’ experiences outside of my own and my family’s, and I would love to speak with anyone on this site who would be willing. Although I do not have a specific question set yet, a few things I would be asking include:

• Why did you decide to adopt?
  • Was there a reason you chose to adopt domestically over internationally, or vice versa?
  • Can you briefly describe the adoption process? How did you get started, and what was the journey like?
  • What is the relationship like between you and your adoptive child/parent?
  • For adoptive children, what impact did being adopted have on you growing up, if any at all?

I would very much appreciate any help, and of course, I would only ask that you answer questions that you are comfortable with. If you would like to speak with me privately off this site, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
    Hi Angela! 

What a great subject to research and bring exposure to! I am sure there are many who might be able to answer these questions. Were you wanting us to answer the questions above, or did you want us to wait for a specific set of questions? I would be willing to answer any questions you may have. 

To answer your first and 2nd question, adoption kind of chose us. A relative asked us to adopt. We had discussed adoption prior, but always thought we would adopt when our biological children were older. 

We started our process quickly as well had little time. For our first adoption, we adopted a relative's child from foster care. We had a home study, background checks, an a court date to bring her home. Our second adoption, we had a homestudy, background checks, and were there when he was born. We had to stay in his home state while we awaited ICPC approval. 

Right now, all of my children are very young. Our relationship is fantastic and  very much the same as it is with my biological children. However, my biracial daughter who is almost 3 is beginning to somewhat realize she looks different than us. 

I am sure you are looking for more detail, and I am happy to oblige. I also suggest you ask this question here  at the answers section on Adoption.com and also through the Adoption.com Facebook group, found here. You may get some really good insight from both groups. The Adoption.com Facebook page and group may cast your net into a larger pool of those willing to be interviewed. Please feel free to reach out for more information or when you have your questions ready. Best of luck in your studies!
  • Answer ✓
    Hi Angela. I would be happy to answer your questions-- if you have others in mind than those you have answered, you can e-mail me at: [email protected] You can also visit my blog at www.threeismyhappyplace.com to see our open adoption experience!

Good luck to you!!!