What's the minimum age difference for adoption?

My marriage of 14 years ended few years ago and my 15 year old daughter went to live with her dad. It was hardest decision I've ever made but I love her unselfishly and her dad could give her the things she needs to be a successful adult. Or I thought. My ex and his wife have brainwashed my baby girl and they just told me that when she turned 18 her stepmom adopted her.  I was never notified and I've cried daily since the pain is too much. Ok my question is: her stepmom is only 6 years older than her, can she be adopted by such a young stepmom? 

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    I'm so sorry to hear that. What a tough situation to be in, you must miss her very much. I'm a birth mother myself, so I feel for you. 

To answer your question- yes, she can. The age to adopt in most states is between 21 and 25, and it doesn't really matter the age of the child. There's not really an established minimum age difference between an adoptee and an adoptive parent. This small of an age gap certainly isn't typical, but it is legal.

Since your daughter was eighteen and consented to it, the stepmom can adopt. It sounds like your daughter has already been adopted, and if it were a problem the courts definitely wouldn't have let it go through. 

I hope that even though your daughter was adopted by her stepmom that eventually you can have a relationship with your daughter. Just because you are no longer legally her parent doesn't mean she can't choose to have contact with you. 

Again, I am so sorry you are going through this. It's such an incredible loss, and it's hard to understand if you haven't been through it. Know that you are not alone, and that you can get through this.