How do I go about preparing a home study?

edited May 3 in New to Adopting
I am new here and have no idea how do I do it? Any help will be appreciated.

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    Hello and welcome aboard!  The home study is one of the first steps in becoming certified to adopt.  It can be a long process but it is very necessary if you are seeking to adopt.  First of all, search for a good, reputable adoption agency.  An adoption agency will perform, collect and write the home study in your behalf.  Here's what you need to do to prepare:

First, gather your documents.  You will need to find vital paperwork such as: birth certificates, marriage certificates, immunizations, paystubs, divorce decrees, etc.  Ask your adoption worker what your state requires.

Secondly, develop a list of references.  These should be people that know you and your family.  Family, friends, neighbors, work associates and perhaps clergy. Tell them to expect a letter or email containing the reference.  These are confidential, so your references should be free to give a comprehensive, honest assessment of your ability to parent children.

Third, prepare your family.  Everyone should be on board and should be prepared to have social workers in and out of the home.  They should also be prepared for interviews.

Lastly, prepare your home, of course.  It doesn't have to be the Taj Majal, but it should be safe and healthy.

There may be other preparations you need, depending on which state you reside in.  The best preparation is mental.  The process may be a rollercoaster ride, but it will be worth it!  Be prepared!

Answers

• Thank you so much derekdw I really appreciated. Will start collecting the documents for the same.
  • Hello and welcome Natureboy,

I just wanted to add to what the previous poster said. In addition to the documents already mentioned, be sure to have your financial info handy — mortgage balance, rent, credit card debts, car loans, etc., as well as a list of your assets such as stocks and bank account balances. And, be prepared to have a complete physical from your family doctor. Our doctor checked our vision and hearing, measured blood pressure, checked our weight, and ordered blood tests for TB and HIV.

When we completed our home study, we also needed to come up with a fire escape plan, so you may want to think about that as well. What are the most likely escape routes? How will you escape from a second story? Where should your family meet outside the home in the case of a fire? 

As Derek mentioned, your social worker will want to confirm your home is safe and you are ready and able to care for a child. Although the thought of having a home study done can seem scary or intimidating, please remember it is also your chance to ask questions and become more educated on the adoption process. Your social worker is there to help prepare you and will be more than willing to offer insight, share tips and experiences, provide reading material or resources and support you in any way he/she can.

In addition to helping us complete the necessary paperwork, our social worker talked with us about what type of child we were able/willing to adopt (age, race, special needs, etc.) and even did a mock interview where she played an expectant parent and we got to ask her questions.

Finally, to help ease your mind: the majority of potential adoptive parents who undergo a home study do pass, so you will likely be just fine. :) 

Here are some article about home studies you may find helpful:

6 Reasons Why a Home Study is Necessary 
    What Does a Home Study Involve
    Surviving Your Adoption Home Study

Best of luck to you!