What books about adoption would you recommend?

What books about adoption would you recommend?

Best Answers

• edited March 12 Answer ✓
    If you're adopting a child from foster care or internationally, you'll need to immerse yourself in the world of attachment-focused parenting approaches. The following books address child brain development and how to help undo the damage done by early life trauma through attachment parenting.

There are some really great ones out there I've heard recommended time and time again. Here are a few:

Attaching in Adoption, by Deborah Gray

Forever Mom: What to Expect When You're Adopting, by Mary Ostyn

The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family, by Karyn Purvis, David Cross, and Wendy Lyons

Becoming a Family: Promoting Healthy Attachments with Your Adopted Child, by Lark Exchleman

The Whole Brain Child, by Daniel J. Siegel

You'll also want to beef up your children's library with books about adoption for kids. Some good ones:

A Mother for Choco

God Found us You

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born (Jamie Lee Curtis' story is beautiful!)

Welcome Home, Little Baby (this one is perfect for transracial families!)

Families Are Different (a children's book written from the perspective of a Korean adoptee)

Horace (another good one about transracial adoption)

Over the Moon (a great one for international adoption)

The Best for You (written by a birth mother - perfect for domestic infant adoptions!)

Star of the Week (helps with identity development, addresses international and transracial adoption themes)

Here are some more resources to help you get started!

https://adoption.com/books-for-preparation-and-support-an-adoption-reading-list
    http://adoptionbooks.net/
    https://adoption.com/ten-beautiful-picture-books-about-adoption
  • Answer ✓
    When I started the adoption process, the first book I read was called The Connected Child: Bring hope and healing to your adoptive family by Karyn B. Purvis and David R. Cross. It was recommend to me by our adoption consultant and now I recommend it to anyone and everyone who is considering adoption! It brought to light a lot of things that I hadn't considered before about what issues or trauma my future child might have to deal with, and how my husband and I could love and support them together as a family. It was a little scary, honestly, but it really solidified that I was on the right path.

Other great books I've read are:

Adopted for Life by Russell Moore

Inside Transracial Adoption: Strength-based, Culture-sensitizing Parenting Strategies for Inter-country or Domestic Adoptive Families That Don't "Match" by Beth Hall and Gail Steinberg

In On It: What Adoptive Parents Would Like You To Know About Adoption (A Guide for Relatives and Friends) by Elisabeth O'Toole

Here are a few good kids books, too:

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis 

We Belong Together: A Book About Adoption and Families

God Found Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren

I Love You All The Same by Donna Keith