What is some adoption criteria I should know about?

What is some adoption criteria I should know about? 

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
    The number one criteria that one is going to look at it is the financial ability to support a child.  Each state and agency will look at other criteria differently.  Some will want a 2 parent home, some will want a Christian home, etc.  The best way to know what criteria each state and agency has is to search for agencies in your area, call them, speak to them, ask them lots of questions.  Another criteria of most agencies is a clean background check, and FBI finger prints may be required.  For more information you may want to look at these websites:

www.adoptionexperts.com
    www.adoptionlaws.com

• Answer ✓
    There is a lot that goes into adopting a child, it actually is not as simple as it sound! But let's look at some things you can do to prepare yourself for that!

Most pregnant women take a class-- not only on child birth but about the basics of taking care of a child. I would suggest that you do the same. A lot of hospitals or your local doctor would be able to point you in the right direction regarding this. It is just good to know, how to help feed the baby properly, change diapers, etc. It may seem "simple" but worth exploring class options. You might be surprised what you could learn!

You should be prepared financial to raise a child. You also would be surprised how much it costs to raise a child these days! But you will also need to show your agency that you are able to support a child. This may include providing them your tax returns, bank statements, check stubs, etc. Not only is the adoption itself a financial obligation, but so is raising the child from infant to adult.

Make sure your home is "large" enough to bring a child home to. I believe the criteria is that you have a room for the child after he/she reaches the age of one. The child can be in your room with you until that age but then you have to proof that they will have a space of their own.

There is a lot to think about when making the decision to adopt, whatever your reasons be, make sure it you have done your research first and have the love in your heart to love another woman's child! It really is a beautiful thing.

If you want more information, check out a few of these links to prepare you for the adoption process, here and here.  And best of luck to you!!!