Can I find my birth parents for free?

Best Answer

• DeeDee
    Answer ✓
    Hello Jen,
    I agree with the previous poster that social media can be a very effective (and free) method to find your birth parents. If you have full names and they are on Facebook, there's a very high chance of locating them. I personally know people who have used this method with great success. Keep in mind that there are a lot of unknowns when reaching out to your birth parents. They may be excited to hear from you and want contact. Or they may prefer not to. It all depends on the situation. No matter how they react to you reaching out to them, remember it likely has nothing to do with how they feel about you personally. Before you get started in your search, you might want to read this article to get an idea of what to expect: 9 Things You Should Know Before Searching for Your Birth Parents.

When you're ready to begin your search, Adoption.com has a free ebook with stories of adoptees who found their birth parents. They explain what it was like and the process they used. You can get your copy HERE. Also, check out this Search and Reunion Guide.

If you don't have much information on your biological family, FB and other forms of social media probably won't help. In that case, you may need to consider methods that have some cost. Maybe try ancestry.com or a DNA testing kit such as 23and Me. The kits run around $100. You could always ask for a kit for Christmas or your birthday to eliminate the cost. :) Here are a few articles on those methods you may find helpful:
    3 Tools to Help You Find Your Birth Parents
    Finding Birth Family Through Ancestry.com
    Using DNA Testing to Find Birth Parents

Reuniting with your birth family can be an emotional and rewarding journey. I wish you the best of luck with your search! 

Answers

• There a lot of different avenues to find your birth parents! Social media has made a huge impact on these kind of searches. If you have any information about your birth parents such as a name and place, a quick Facebook search might yield some results. You could also post some information on social media sites with the information that you have in order to get the word out and see if anyone who knows your birth parents might respond.

Another avenue to take if you have some information is to go to the town where you were born and search the local records. Many libraries or historical organizations have old newspapers and/or school yearbooks that may yield some results and information about your birth parent. 

One of the best ways to search for free is to utilize Adoption.com's Adoption Reunion Registry tool. Here, you can leave your information in case someone in your birth family is searching for you or you can also search information to see if your birth family has already been seeking information about you. 

Lastly, if you have not already, inquire of your adoptive family if they have any information they have not shared or that they might remember. While you may not have access to your adoption records, your adoptive parents may have come across a piece of information they weren't meant to see or have heard something they didn't think would be pertinent. It can be difficult to worry that you might hurt your adoptive parents feelings with these questions, but it might yield the most lucrative results. 

For more information on how to search, you can read a bit more here!