In the United States . . .
- Over 100,000 children are adopted each year.
- 58% of Americans know someone who is adopted or who has adopted
- 1/25 households have at least one adopted child
- 85% of adopted children are in excellent or very good health
- 3 in 4 adopted children are read or sung to every day
- 1/2 of adopted children eat meals together with their families 6-7 days per week
- 1/2 of adopted children have excellent or very good performance in reading, language arts, and math
- Adopted children are less likely to live below the poverty level
- Adopted children are more likely to participate in extracurricular activities
- 68% of adoptive families have contact with the birth family after the adoption
These statistics were compiled and presented by American Adoptions.